Pages

Midnight Train of Horrors

This train ride was our new all time low. It was horrible in its afflictions. I laugh now, but I wasn’t laughing then. Well, I was, but that was out of exhaustion, not humor. We got on the train at 8:45 p.m. It all started with a family. When that new family walked onto our car and settled down in the seats directly behind us, I knew it would be a long night. Little did I know, it was just one of the many hardships we would have to tolerate. Before the train started to move, I decided to walk up to the bathroom. I got one glimpse of the bathroom and had to walk right back to my seat. It was just too scary to use. As we settled in, and the little kids started screaming, I really didn’t think it could get worse. When the train started going, I thought the lights would turn off. They didn’t. Those fluorescent lights bored into my soul the entire length of the journey. When the movie started to play, I thought I was just imagining it. Who turns on a movie on a night train? I looked for the button to turn down the speaker, and realized there was none. Of all the places surround sound is appreciated, it is not on a train in the middle of the night. The speakers were on the roof the entire length of the car. We asked a train engineer to turn the speakers down, but the speakers didn’t go quieter. I thought, maybe it will be a good movie I’ve wanted to watch for a while. It wasn’t. It was some National Geographic movie about animals mating. Of all the rotten luck, I would be stuck on the one train showing the movie of the mating rituals of rabbits. The train was frigid, but at least we were ready for that. I had the bright idea to keep the blankets from the airlines we rode to the Philippines and S’pore since buses are always so cold to me. We could alleviate only that one horrible thing. Meanwhile, the kids behind us kept pulling Kari’s hair the entire night. Luckily, they left my hair alone, but they kept jerking my arm, all the while laughing and screaming loudly. Meanwhile, I still had to use the restroom... That was possibly the worst night I have ever had.


0 comments, questions, critiques...: