Pages

British to American Dictionary

I thought I should put a few of the words that translate differently. Most of these I already knew thanks to Vikki and Mark, but to some it might seem like another language!

Aerial - Antennae
Bangers and Mash - Sausages and Mashed Potatoes
Bin - Trash Can
Biscuits - Cookies
Bonnet - Hood
Boot - Trunk
Carriageway - Road
Chips - French Fries
Choc - Chocolate
Cloakroom - Restroom
Crazy Golf - Miniature Golf
Crisps - Chips
Crumpet - English Muffinish
Draughts - Checkers
Dual Carriageway - Road
Dustbin - Trash Can
Ensuite - Master Bath
Fizzy Drink - Soda
Football - Soccer
Footpath - Sidewalk
Hash sign - Pound sign
Kip - Nap
Lemonade - Sprite, 7-UP
Lift - Elevator
Loo - Restroom
Lorry - Semi (truck)
Mind the gap - Watch your step
Motorway - Highway
Nappies - Diapers
Pants - Underwear
Pear-shaped - To go wrong
Petrol - Gas (used in Taiwan too)
Pie - Meat Pastry
Pram/Push chair - Stroller
Queue - Line
Roasties - Roasted Potatoes
Rubbish - Garbage
Tea - Dinner
Trousers - Pants
Uni - University
"What you doing, nice?" - Hello
Windscreen - Windshield
Zed - Z

I know there are many more, but I can't think of them at this time. I'll post more when I remember.

0 comments, questions, critiques...: