Pages

"New" Seven Wonders of the World?! I so don't think so...

I just heard about the so-called "New" Seven Wonders of the World results. Apparently there was a grassroots, online voting thing, for new seven wonders; as if people were tired of the already proven seven wonders. Meanwhile, Angkor Wat didn't make the cut. It's a fantastic site of a dozen or more temples built long ago. It's amazing really. It's so old and full of historical facts and beautiful architecture. It's definitely worth the title of Seven Wonder of the World. But that's not what I need to vent about. It's the fact that there was a call to vote online for new wonders. I can understand if it was a vote for new wonders, with the operative word being new. However, most of the delegates were from olden times like the Great Wall of China. There were only a few new architectural designs. While other countries were voting two and three times for their delegate, Cambodia didn't stand a chance. For the most part, Cambodians don't have access to a computer let alone the internet! How can there be a world vote for new wonders of the world, if the world isn't allowed to have a say. Although, that brings me to another tirade. There should be no "vote" for wonders of the world! They just are! Angkor Wat is all the Cambodians have! I mean, it’s their entire flag for pete’s sake. Take the beauty and sanctity of Angkor Wat away and what do they have? Phnom Penh. (And we don’t want to go there…)

Sadly, Stonehenge didn't make the cut either. Hello, it took over 1,000 years to construct! I think that's pretty wondrous. People think Stonehenge is only what you see, however, it’s so much more than that! We only see two thirds of the stones. Another one third is stuck in the ground! Another interesting fact is where the stones came from to form the hanging structure. The stones weren't cut from around Amsbury, England. They were actually hauled in from Wales, several hundred miles away! To think of the absolute power and mystery surrounding Stonehenge makes the mind boggle. Stonehenge embodies endurance and intrigue. My only consolation is the fact it is still among the Ancient Seven Wonders of the World. Although, that spot might be taken away, if another group decides to have another vote.

As for the wonders they picked, I have no idea why Brazil's Christ the Redeemer statue, Italy's Colosseum or India's Taj Mahal made the list. The Great Wall of China totally deserves a spot. It is quite remarkable, and I don’t contest that decision at all. And I am not contesting the other ancient remnants of civilizations that made the list, as they are quite remarkable. However, what’s with the Colosseum? It’s half gone! What kind of wonder doesn't last the ages? I ask you. And why did Christ the Redeemer make the list and not The Eiffel Tower or The Statue of Liberty as well? They are pretty much all the same. They are just huge statues. Every country seems to have one these days. And I probably just seemed totally blasphemous with that last statement, but I’m not saying Christ the Redeemer is lame, I’m just saying it isn’t unique enough to be called a wonder. True, I have yet to see these three in person. With that said, I will probably eat my words when I experience them up close, but for now I'm incredulous. Whatever anyone, or any list says, Stonehenge and Angkor Wat will always be Seven Wonders of the World, ancient or otherwise.

I don’t really know why I have such strong feelings on this subject. I mean, who cares what people are voting about, especially since I didn’t even know this vote happened? Who cares what they picked? I guess it’s the fact that I've only ever seen two wonders of the world in my entire life. They both happened to be this year. The exact year this insipid vote took place. I wonder if maybe I may have tainted the two awe inspiring structures with my presence. I think I’m just sad that the only two wonders I’ve ever seen have been demoted. So what am I left with?

Now I’ve heard the results, I do remember seeing a sign while driving up to Angkor Wat asking people to vote for it in the election. But at the time, it was in passing and I remember wondering why there would be new seven wonders. There have been Seven Wonders of the World, for so long, how can that list be changed? And if it were to be changed, why would people vote? Wonders just are. A vote doesn't need to happen. With these thoughts, I forgot about it.

0 comments, questions, critiques...: