Pages

This just in...

Ok, after a ton of im's and wall posts, I probably should update my blog with my newest job opportunity. I flew to Atlanta last week to interview for an international marketing firm. (They aren't based in Atlanta, that's just where the recruitment happened to be.) It also happened to be where Bonnie is living, so I totally got to visit her! (More on Atlanta fun times later.) After an information session, group interviews and a personal interview, they offered me the job! I will be moving to Belgium to start my two week training in the middle of August. The training will be at their offices in Overpelt, the Flemish part of Belgium, an hour from Brussels and 45 mins from The Netherlands. They own an apartment complex nearby, which is where I'll stay, along with the other newbies. I've actually been in contact with this company since last year. I really liked them, but I already had a job lined up in Greece, so when they told me of the recruitment this past weekend, I jumped!

After my training, I'll have anywhere from four to 12 weeks of on the job training, where I'll be placed with a team somewhere in the world. They have teams in most every country around the world, so the sky's the limit. After that I'll have my own team, again, in a country somewhere. I'm terribly excited.

So, you ask, what is it you'll be doing? Well, I'll be an International Project Consultant, which you're thinking doesn't explain anything, and you're probably quite right, so I'll give you an overview. I'll be creating, designing and writing reports on the country I'm stationed in for magazines and newspapers like the New York Post.


And now for something completely different. Fun times in Atlanta! After my interviews on Friday, Bonnie showed me around Atlanta. It's a beautiful city with no more than 10 square feet ever without a tree. It's so green and leafy. When we had just flown under the cloud cover to fly into Atlanta, all non-native Georgians gasped at the sight of all the trees. We could hardly see the roads and buildings there was so much foliage. One lady said longingly, it's like Northern California. We're so rain deprived here it's pathetic.

Anyway, Bonnie took me to The Varsity, a local favorite! I tried the Frosted Orange, the chili cheese fries and a chili cheese hot dog. The FO was like a dreamsicle in a cup. Absolutely amazing. It has such a fun atmosphere. And the workers wear the cut little paper hats and belt, Whata ya have? to those ordering. It's quite the place. I thought it was absolutely, insanely busy while we were there, with over 27 registers open and lines spilled out into the dining room, but Bonnie assured me it was quite slow!

After eating we went downtown to this way cute planned city-within-a-city. It reminded me of San Francisco as all the houses were smooshed together and painted pretty colors. I had my first experience at an H&M. It was a fun shopping center with local artisans setting up around the street.

9 comments, questions, critiques...:

Anonymous said...

You'll be great with writing about wherever it is that they send you! I'm excited for you and hope they send you somewhere cool. ;)


Kritter Face said...

Thanks! I hope I go some place exciting too. Although, pretty much any country would be great!


Anonymous said...

I expect you to visit Denmark this time, young lady! Do you have to learn French or do you get to go to English-speaking Belgium? How long will you be there? I am so excited for you!! Congratulations!!! --Maria


Kritter Face said...

You know it's been at the top of my list since your highly informative email! I actually already understand a lot of French, so it will be good to finally be in a country that speaks it! Although, after I've just said that, I'll actually be in the Flemish part. Is that the English speaking part? Because the city names are quite impossible. I'll only be in Belgium for two weeks for the first part of the training. Although, Belgium will be a sort of home base for me for the next little while and I'll be sent back there after I've completed jobs and such. And thanks so much!


Kelly said...

You are such a crazy world traveler!! Super awesome but does your family ever see you? Loves.


Kritter Face said...

Heehee. Well I'll be at the family reunion this year!


Something McSomethingkins said...

DID I MENTION I WAS SOOOOO JEALOUS?! I'm so going to fly down to Cali (that's what we non Californians call California) and hide in your suitcases. In other news, I'm a terrible friend and haven't sent your packages yet, so I don't know if there's enough time to send them before you leave:( I don't really trust the mail system after my camera.


Anonymous said...

Hey Kristen, that is so great! I'm glad you'll be where you can be all excited and happy. You didn't seem too thrilled when you had to come back home and not stay in London. Congratulations! You'll knock them dead.


Kritter Face said...

Mcliss - AHHHH, stop proliferating the horribleness!! It must end with you! It's funny you should mention stowawaying, because I have an empty suitcase with your name on it. So Lupe is flying back to Germany today. She'll get you that insurance info. As for my packages. I think you'll have to visit me before I leave. :)

Becky - I'm excited to be heading back too! I never did get the whole visa/work permit thing for the UK, and wasn't into being illegal. Heehee. Thanks so much!